there are certain things that parents need to provide for our children,
there are also things that parents have a right to expect in return.
Here they are:
- Respect and courtesy in both verbal and non-verbal language.
- Accepting personal responsibility for choices and not blaming others.
- Truth in words and actions. Truth breeds trust.
- Assistance in family chores and making the house a home.
- Being helpful and loving towards siblings.
- Honesty, kindness and caring for family members.
- Taking care of possessions and property.
- Responsibility and involvement in forming family goals.
- That as they mature and develop they will become independent and self-sufficient.
- Forgiveness when we make mistakes.
- A willingness to try.
- That they will do their best at whatever they do.
- That they will obey family rules and guidelines.
- Sharing where you are, how you are getting there, who you are with, what you are doing, and when you will be home at all times they are not with us.
expectations in this list, and the one from my last post, are very
important to healthy relationships between parents and children. So,
set aside some time at your next family council to share them with the
whole family. For great information on family councils click here.