Summer is coming and with it bored kids who are looking to you for inspiration and guidance. In this article you will read 5 fun things to do with your family to connect and build memories this summer.
The following list requires little or no equipment and just uses you and your family setting aside a few minutes to have some interactive fun activities and games. The only requirement is you, your kids and a little time spent together. Come on try it, you will love it and so will your family.
- Make a Monster-Either draw a shape on a flat piece of paper, or use the back of a cardboard box that you brought groceries home from Costco. Now with markers ( or different pieces of colored paper) create scary eyes, teeth, ears, fangs, hair, claws etc. Now have your child name the monster and tell you a story about him.
- Make Play dough- Aaaah, this is the stuff that imaginations are made from. Combine 1 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon alum (from the spice aisle) Add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 cup boiling water. Stir till cool, then knead in food coloring. Roll it out, use cookie cutters, garlic press, pizza cutters etc. have fun thinking of things to make.
- Count the Books in your house. I am betting you will find some you have been looking for to re-read. Now, how about donating some of those that you will never read again to the library?
- Water fights. Is there anything that says Summer as much as water and the fun of running through the sprinkler (come on Dad, I dare you) or choosing sides and dipping plastic cups to fill from a bucket of water and through on each other?
- Walk around the block and list everything that is a certain color. This is such a great activity to help children recognize shades and variants of color. Good teaching moment to talk to them about emotions and how many different ways you can feel happy or sad or mad.
5 Fun Things to Do This Summer With The Kids